lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: modularization discussion
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 08:15:44 GMT
Hey folks

On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 6:49 PM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:
> Isn't our end goal here a bunch of well factored search modules?  Ie,
> fast forward a year or two and I think we should have modules like
> these:

I think we have two camps here (10k feet view):

1. wants to move towards modularization might support all the modules
mike has listed below
2. wants to stick with Solr's current architecture and remain
"monolithic" (not negative in this case) as much as possible

I think we can meet somewhere in between and agree on certain module
that should be available to lucene users as well. The ones I have in
mind are
primary search features like:
 - Faceting
- Highlighting
- Suggest
- Function Query (consolidation is needed here!)
- Analyzer factories

things like distribution and replication should remain in solr IMO but
might be moved to a more extensible API so that people can add their
own implementation. I am thinking about things like the ZooKeeper
support that might not be a good solution for everybody where folks
have already JGroups infrastructure. So I think we can work towards 2
distinct goals.
1. extract common search features into modules
2. refactor solr to be more "elastic" / "distributed"  and extensible
with respect to those goals.

maybe we can get agreement on such a basis though.

let me know what you think

simon