lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Willnauer <simon.willna...@googlemail.com>
Subject Moving towards Lucene 4.0
Date Mon, 16 May 2011 11:52:55 GMT
Hey folks,

we just started the discussion about Lucene 3.2 and releasing more
often. Yet, I think we should also start planning for Lucene 4.0 soon.
We have tons of stuff in trunk that people want to have and we can't
just keep on talking about it - we need to push this out to our users.
>From my perspective we should decide on at least the big outstanding
issues like:

- BulkPostings (my +1 since I want to enable positional scoring on all queries)
- DocValues (pretty close)
- FlexibleScoring (+- 0 I think we should wait how gsoc turns out and
decide then?)
- Codec Support for Stored Fields, Norms & TV (not sure about that but
seems doable at least an API and current impl as default)
- Realtime Search aka. Searchable Ram Buffer (this seems quite far
though while I would love to have it it seems we need to push this to
> 4.0)

For DocValues the decision seems easy since we are very close with
that and I expect it to land until end of June. I want to kick off the
discussion here so nothing will be set to stone really but I think we
should plan to release somewhere near the end of the year?!

simon