lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: FST and FieldCache?
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 13:21:00 GMT
> I tried to prevent another reference to mr. Daciuk :)

Why? He's a very nice guy :)

> But you have to lookup this err..index somehow. And that's either
> binary or hash lookup. Where's the win?

You can do a sparse O(1) index and have a slight gain from these few
large initial states. This only makes sense if you perform tons of
these lookups, really.

Mike's right -- the FST will output a structure that is ready to be
used for by-number retrieval of strings (or anything else) as long as
the numbers are strictly monotonous (and preferably continuous). The
output will be what you're suggesting, Earwin -- accumulated sums.

Dawid