lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Dawid Weiss <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl>
Subject Re: FST and FieldCache?
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 12:45:42 GMT
> That's what I invented, and yes, it was invented by countless people before
> :)

You know I didn't mean to sound rude, right? I'm really admiring your
ability to come up with these solutions by yourself, I'm merely copying
other folks' ideas.

Anyway, the optimization you're describing is sure possible. Lucene's FST
implementation can actually combine both approaches because always expanding
nodes is inefficient and those already expanded will allow a binary search
(assuming the automaton structure is known to the implementation).

Another refinement of this idea creates a detached table (err.. index :) of
states to start from inside the automaton, so that you don't have to go
through the initial 2-3 states which are more or less always large and even
binary search is costly there.

Dawid