lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Lucene/Solr release 3.2 (take 2)
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 12:06:52 GMT
On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 8:01 AM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's a showstopper b/c the docs work fine in the binary
> release, though it'd be good if we can fix that somehow for future releases.
> I don't like inconsistencies. Maybe we should remove all "docs" and generate
> them by an Ant target?

Lets open an issue for this?
Really this is nothing new (I checked lucene 2.4 again).

If a user runs 'ant prepare-release' from a source dist, they will get
a usable 'docs' folder.
But its confusing that in SVN we have 'docs' (which is in fact
generated code from src/site).

It would be way less confusing if docs/ didnt exist at all, but when
running the build task, forrest would run and put this stuff in
build/docs, then any src user/svn consumer wouldnt see these pre-built
docs and have false hopes.
Another alternative that wouldn't involve us integrating forrest into
the build would be to nuke docs/ and rename it to
src/site/generated_content or something. Then when you run ant it
copies this to build/docs.