lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Pruning down roadmap for 3.2
Date Fri, 20 May 2011 19:18:27 GMT
On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> : > I suggest that we un-mark these for 3.2 this weekend.  If you really feel
> : > strongly that something on this list needs to make it into 3.2, assign it to
> : > yourself.
> :
> : +1, maybe we should make a 3.3 in jira and move those to it?
>
> That's what we've done in the past, but i think in generally we should
> just stop doing that -- It doesn't feel like it really improves the
> situation.
>
> Unless someone is actively working on an issue with a target to getting it
> into a specific version, we should just leave the version blank.
>
> Having all of these issues "pending" for a version makes it hard to really
> see the realistic plan of what is likely to be in a given release. Some of
> these issues have been open for a long time, with no activity, and no
> indication that anone thinks they are important (let alone actively
> working on patches for them).  Hypotheticly: if they hadn't all been
> marked for 3.2, we might have done a release weeks ago if it had been
> clear that there was only a handful of open issues people were actively
> working on and wanted to get in 3.2 -- that would have likely motivated
> us to rally arround getting those issues finalized and making an RC.

that's definitely fine by me, especially if you think perhaps it would
encourage us to get releases out faster.

personally, when i set these versions on issues, i set versions
3.x+4.0 usually to indicate that I think its applicable to both the
stable branch and trunk (versus 4.0-only indicating its not the kind
of thing that should be backported).

but we can definitely just leave the thing blank as maybe this isn't
that useful and makes releases seem even more hopeless.