lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Apache Jenkins emails
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 19:37:35 GMT
> Hmm... wouldn't this "help to ignore" build failures, while current situation encourages
solving them?

I don't think current situation encourages resolving the issues more
than it would discourage if we grouped all emails together.

And I don't believe people will ignore a Jenkins failure thread, if
they don't ignore the separate emails today.

True, for those who ignore build failures - it will help them ignore
them more easily :)

Those who don't ignore will continue to monitor. And from what I can
tell, many failures are not due to code issues, but Jenkins server
issues.

Shai

On Tuesday, May 17, 2011, Doron Cohen <cdoronc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm... wouldn't this "help to ignore" build failures, while current situation encourages
solving them? :)

> I mean, unlike threading JIRA issues which is more convenient now, for build failures
this would hide some info - thread title would indicate the oldest failure no.

> In spite of the above, if others still like to change in this way, I'll be fine with
it.

> Doron
>
> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 6:16 PM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, Gmail ignores (for grouping) everything that in between brackets []. That's how
we made all issue emails appear under the same thread, the status (Commented, Created, Resolved
etc.) now appears in brackets.

> So, I think that if we put the build # in brackets, the rest of the message is the same
for all failures. So instead of:

> "[JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-tests-only-trunk - Build # 8042 - Still Failing"
>
> we write
>
> "[JENKINS] Lucene-Solr-tests-only-trunk - [Build # 8042] - Still Failing"
>
> Or
>
> "[JENKINS] [Build # 8042] Lucene-Solr-tests-only-trunk Failed"
>
> Remove the word "still" altogether (it's redundant) and move the build number to the
start of the subject.

> Shai
>

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 6:08 PM, Uwe Schindler <uwe@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> It’s possible to change the header, as the mails are already customized. How should
it look like (I don’t use f*g Gmail)

>  -----
> Uwe Schindler
> H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremenhttp://www.thetaphi.de <http://www.thetaphi.de/>

thinking, if we put the build # in [], all failures will be grouped under one thread (in Gmail).
Since we have so many of them, it will at least collapse all of them into a single thread.
We can still tell the failure of each email as well as the build #.