lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 3.2.0
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 17:43:02 GMT
On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Shai Erera <serera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Only thought that we might want to give people time to ensure that
> things that are important to them are included in 3.2.

I know this approach is tempting, and what we "normally" do, but I
think this is the core problem of why our releases drag out so long.

I think we should in fact do the reverse: simply "release" frequently
off of our stable branch, whatever point it's at, without waiting for
anything except blockers.  This is the huge benefit of having a
separate stable branch ("always releasable"), and we have yet to tap
that.

I too have things I want to commit (eg, the single-pass grouping
collector, maybe nested docs soon, etc.), but these can just as well
wait for 3.3.

If we know we will have frequent releases going forward then suddenly
it's much less important to squeeze stuff in to a given release; just
catch the next one.  It's sort of chicken-and-egg :)

+1 to release.

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com