lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 3.2.0
Date Fri, 27 May 2011 16:57:32 GMT
Mike

Thanks for taking the initiative !

Do you think we can allow for 1 week or so in order for people to be able to
finish things they're currently working on (and expect to finish within the
next few days) and want them to be in 3.2?

I ask because I don't recall seeing a "feature freeze" note, or candidate
date or anything on 3.2. I know I can use 2-3 more days to finish few issues
(such as LUCENE-3147, which fixes numerous leaked file handles).

With 3.1, IIRC, we gave a 1 month notice about the candidate release date.
Then we allowed 1 week for people to sort out their issues and move to 3.2
any they didn't think they'll make it on time. After that week, we moved all
unassigned ones to 3.2. That's kind of the process I was expecting w/ 3.2
... if this notice has been given (and I missed it), then I apologize and
will test the artifacts you published.

Don't get me wrong, we will always have "more work" to do, and I don't think
we should let the number of open issues (currently for 3.2) hold us back
from releasing. However, by following a certain protocol about a release, we
give people enough time to prepare for it.

Shai