lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shai Erera <ser...@gmail.com>
Subject shared doc stores and IW.addIndexes
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 12:39:19 GMT
Hi

If I remember correctly, we no longer share doc stores (starting 3.1.0).
While working on LUCENE-3126 I was thinking that perhaps addIndexes does not
work well, or at least can be improved in that area.

Today, if you add an index (e.g. created with 2.9/3.0) and some segments
share doc stores, they will still share the doc stores after copy. However,
what if you use a merge policy, e.g. TieredMP, which assumes it can merge
segments out-of-order? Will it work w/ shared doc-stores? How does the rest
of the code work w/ segments that share doc stores?

I assume that since we support index-format backwards, then the code works
well. So maybe this isn't a bug. However, shouldn't we untie the doc stores,
even if it means copying the DS to each segment, in IW.addIndexes?

Shai