lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 3.2.0
Date Mon, 30 May 2011 20:15:46 GMT
On Mon, May 30, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Steven A Rowe <sarowe@syr.edu> wrote:
> First, I want to say that I think being able to release more frequently is great.  Thanks
Mike for taking the initiative.

> But we need to be able to fix packaging problems, and the only time we look at them is
at release time.  So I'm -1 to the idea of ignoring problems because we don't want to hold
back releases.  Re-spinning must remain a real option.

its not ignoring problems, but just because its a bug in packaging
doesnt immediately make it a blocker issue. many of these packaging
bugs are pre-existing conditions in 2.9, 3.0, 3.1, etc, and we
released those successfully just fine. Packaging bugs are bugs like
anything else, and packaging will never be perfect, we just have to
decide which are blockers.

> 3. Contrib Javadocs include links to removed contribs ant, db, lucli, and swing. -1 to
RC1 based on this.

While I agree with most of the other things you said, I voice some
disagreement here. I'm not sure things like this in contrib should
block a release.

if its so important that it blocks a release, then it should be in our
core product.

That said, this one is trivial to fix, so lets fix it too for the next rc.