lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Sokolov <soko...@ifactory.com>
Subject Re: Solr Config XML DTD's
Date Wed, 18 May 2011 20:17:05 GMT
I looked into inserting a formal validation step in o.a.solr.core.Config
and ran some preliminary simple tests.  The code is fairly simple; just
a couple of gotchas:

1) to use the RNC validation language (my preference), we would need to
pull in a couple of new jars, one of which is over 600K.  Also, support
for RNC in the XML world is not very widespread: it's gotten more
interest from researchers and less uptake more broadly, so it might not
be the best choice, even if, aesthetically it is superior IMO.

2) The other alternatives are XML Schema and DTD.  I think DTD is a
non-starter since it just can't allow things like arbitrary attributes
on an element (you have to list them explicitly).  Schema is probably
the best choice all things considered: support for it is built into the
XML tools already in use, and it is widely adopted.  The drawback is
that it's a baroque and unwieldy syntax designed by an indecisive
committee that loaded it down with excessive featuritis, and someone
will end up having to maintain this: every time you add a new
configuration option to the schema (or solrconfig, etc), then the
schema-schema (validation schema?) will have to be updated to reflect that.

3) Finally, to get good error reporting it's important to show file name
and line number where an error occurred.  Although you can validate a
constructed XML tree (a DOM), it's better to run validation on a Stream
so the line numbers are available.  Therefore it will probably be
necessary to run two passes (one to validate, and one to construct the
DOM), which means buffering the config.  Doesn't seem like a big deal:
these are small files that only get loaded once, but this is a cost of
validation, I think.

Of course the benefit is that users would actually get fast-failing
specific and informative error messages covering a wide variety of
misconfigurations: I would hope we could be restrictive enough to catch
mis-spelled versions of known element and attribute names, or places
where elements are out of order.

I'd be willing to work this up, develop a preliminary schema (of
whichever sort we choose), and send in a patch, but other folks would
probably end up having to maintain it from time to time if it's to have
any value at all and not just get disabled, so I just want to make sure
this is something you all think is worth while before going any further.

-Mike