lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Sokolov <soko...@ifactory.com>
Subject Re: Solr Config XML DTD's
Date Thu, 05 May 2011 02:50:04 GMT
I'm not sure you will find anyone wanting to put in this effort now, but
another suggestion for a general approach might be:

1 very basic static analysis to catch what you can - this should be a
pretty minimal effort only given what can reasonably be achieved

2 throw runtime errors as Hoss says (probably already doing this well
enough, but maybe some incremental improvements are needed?)

3 an option to run a "configtest" like httpd provides that preloads all
declared handlers/plugins/modules etc, instantiates them and gives them
an opportunity to read their config and throw whatever errors they
find.  This way you can set a standard (error on unrecognized parameter,
say) in some core areas, and distribute the effort.  This is a hugely
useful sanity check to be able to run when you want to make config
changes and not have your server fall over when it starts (or worse -
later).

-Mike "kibitzer" Sokolov