lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Improvements to the maven build
Date Sat, 07 May 2011 20:08:44 GMT
Hi David,

On 5/6/2011 at 9:46 AM, David W. Smiley wrote:
> On May 4, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Steven A Rowe wrote:
> > I meant to keep the Maven build output location the same as the Ant
> > build output location.  I think the Solr modules' POMs can and should
> > be changed to eliminate this difference.
>
> I'm a little unclear on what you mean by "I think the Solr modules' POMs
> can and should be changed to eliminate this difference".  Do you mean we
> should ensure there is no difference in build output locations between
> the maven and ant builds?

Yes, that's the ideal I have in mind.  This may not be possible for various reasons, but that's
the ideal.

> If so then how do we deal with the fact that the ant builds wants
> to put the solrj jar into a compilation output directory?

The solrj jar is created in the Ant build (exclusively, AFAICT) via the 'dist-solrj' target,
which places the solrj jar file under solr/dist/, not under the compilation output directory
solr/build/solrj/.  Maybe you are referring to something other than the binary jar?

> You committed my patch that puts the compilation output directory
> one more level in under "classes" -- this creates a difference
> between the builds.

That's true, your change makes the builds less similar, not more.  I figured, though, that
practical concerns trump theory in the short term ("progress not perfection"), and that in
the medium term, we can change the build to more closely resemble the Ant build.

Thanks again for reviewing the Maven build - I really appreciate it.

Steve