lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: modularization discussion
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 17:11:30 GMT

On May 3, 2011, at 12:49 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:

> Isn't this the future we are working towards?

No, not really. Others perhaps, but not me. I'm on board with some modules. I do think there
are tradeoffs when considering them and considering Lucene and Solr. I'm happy to take everything
one issue at a time.

When I voted to merge, no, I certainly was not thinking, I hope in a year or two we have taken
everything from Solr and made it a module. I did it for a few specific things to start - analyzers
for sure, perhaps some other things as people did something that made sense. I did it so we
could share some code more easily - not all code.

Others did it for their own reasons I assume.

But no - I'm not sure I have ever fully subscribed to what you are saying.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Lucene/Solr User Conference
May 25-26, San Francisco