lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: modularization discussion
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 02:28:02 GMT

On May 2, 2011, at 7:31 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> In short, I believe people should still contribute where they see they can add the most
value and according to their time schedules.  Additionally, others who have more time or the
ability to refactor for reusability should be free to do so as well.

> I agree that people should be able to contribute where they can; at the same time as
a single unified project (lucene+solr) I think there is an objective 'right' place for things
-- code designed to have maximum utility and reusablity (minimum dependencies without sacrificing
functionality).

> Starting things in the right place is often easier then refactoring later -- that said,
i don't think it should be a requirement as long as we all agree that things can (and should)
be moved to a more reusable place if someone is willing to do the work.

> Thinking about the issue that triggered this debate... in SOLR-2272 (the pseudo-join
stuff), I think the heart of the problem was the idea that once committed, this new feature
could not be moved around.  With this discussion, I think we agree that it should be refactored
if someone is willing to do the work.  It may even be reasonable for someone to mark it as
@lucene.experimental if there is serious concern about how hard it is to refactor (and that
person is planning to put in some effort to move things in the right direction)

> ryan

+1

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com