On 18 April 2011 13:30, Roland Villemoes <rv@alpha-solutions.dk> wrote:

Hi Gérard

Thank you for your reply.

You're welcome ;-)

I will absolutely look into it J

Still wondering where the Solr Community will bring this in the future?

As for Lucene, SolR is mainly focussed on indexing and not preprocessing. I'm convince that it's good for an opensource project to stick on its core added-value. I'm seen to much projects dying because they tried to do everything. But perhaps this could be done in Nutch which cover almost every part of a search engine. UIMA (as it was suggested) may also be a good solution.

Looking at commercial products (we use this a lot here at Alpha Solutions) products like Exalead and FAST really does have impressive content (and search) pipelines, and most of all impressive tools included. And as the future for FAST is extremely uncertain now FAST customers moving to Solr will lack the pipelines and the tools.

But I don't suggest open source project to follow any of these commercial product roadmap ;-) I rather prefer modular self contained and efficient open source projects. Then for integration, we need another layer like UIMA or WebLab.

Well as consultants we can establish functionality developing the missing pieces – but tools are still missing. And where customers could (almost)  administer and work on pipelines themselves – they now need developers.

That's the tricky part. Hopefully these projects will mature to a level where administration of high level orchestration is easy. But to be frank, it's not really easy in many way and if the end-users want to administrate this part themselves, they will still need some basic understanding and training.

Thanks for input – looking forward to see more J

Good luck, keep me informed.

gd

Roland Villemoes