Hi,

We've been thinking about the same for some time, and I put together a WIKI page discussing the need for such a pipeline. Feel free to edit, extend and discuss inside the WIKI.
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DocumentProcessing

It need not be a part of Solr as such, but it is crucial that there is one preferred pipeline where the community can gather their effort in writing re-usable processing stages.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com