lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial Future
Date Mon, 04 Apr 2011 21:28:25 GMT
On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:

> In the days of sub-projects, I would have proposed that option, but
> now I see two options:
>
> A.  Work on spatial lucene outside of apache -- perhaps osgeo or even
> just github. (would need a different name)
> B.  Allow JTS compile-time dependency in lucene, and move spatial
> contrib to a real module

It took some convincing by Ryan but I've come around to "A" -- a separate project that can
be included just as say Carrot2 or Tika is today.  Lucene/Solr can stick with the basics of
geospatial (index points, filter point-distance or box, distance sort) that satisfy the majority
of user needs.  Anything else can be tossed, allowing Lucene/Solr to be more focused on its
core capabilities.  For more performant and rich geospatial features, users can get this proposed
external project that is designed to easily work with Lucene/Solr. It would be good for this
project to be featured prominently somehow; the wiki pages should be sufficient.

~ David Smiley
Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/