lucene-dev mailing list archives

From William Bell <billnb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial Future
Date Tue, 05 Apr 2011 18:50:20 GMT
Let's just do it in Solr directly. I like the jar idea for JTS.

We just need more committers to contribute and support the people
doing the work.

Bill

On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
>> If we do elect for option A, I would also suggest we delete the
>> spatial contrib (in 4.0) and have solr depend on the external .jar --
>> this way lucene users would have what they need directly with the
>> external .jar, and solr users would get lots of fancy new stuff
>> off-the-shelf.
>

> At the end of the day, Solr only uses a few methods in the Lucene contrib:  the geohash
stuff and a few other distance utils (some static methods that I moved from Solr down to Lucene).
 That's about it.   Everything else is just FieldTypes and function queries (the tier stuff
is broken b/c of the sinusoidal projection impl. and I didn't see a need for the geometry
stuff).  If we move function queries to modules, those utils could just be hidden in there
(or they could just be put in Solr for that matter if function queries stay where they are)
and there would be no need for any external dependency.  Then, there is no spatial package
at all and anyone who wishes to work on Spatial can go do it in the proposed external project
if they need anything beyond point search.

> That being said, a separate package/project is what LocalLucene/LocalSolr was.  You
are of course free to do as you wish, but to me things that are first order supported by the
community seem to stick better than those that don't and have the benefit of our extensive
testing framework as well as resources, especially something as popular as spatial.   I think,
though, at the end of the day, you are just going to see, once again, a forking as people
will likely be confused about where to contribute.  Some will continue to contribute to Lucene/Solr
b/c that is what they are working on (b/c they started w/ point search) and others will contribute
to the external project.  Nothing wrong with that, of course, people can do as they wish,
it's just why I would prefer a single solution as part of our modules.  If SIS or something
else w/ a better license was as mature as JTS, we probably wouldn't even be having the discussion.

> On a different level, for me personally, and I really stress this just my personal choice,
I don't have much interest in contributing to non-ASF (or similar foundation based open source
projects) because they don't offer the same legal framework, branding, resources and other
opportunities that the ASF does.