lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject modularization discussion
Date Wed, 27 Apr 2011 03:07:25 GMT
Hi,

It appears there are some problems with modularization of the code,
especially between lucene and solr, so I would like for us to have a
discussion on this thread.

The two sides/takes seem to be (with some example reasons):
1. pro: for example, modularization can expose features that were
traditionally in solr to lucene users.
2. con: for example, modularization slows development of these
features and they will evolve slower if they are in lucene.

I think we need to somehow get a better understanding of both sides,
specific examples of portions of the code would be helpful I think.
Maybe then we can arrive at a compromise so that we aren't so
frustrated about this issue.