lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: character escapes in source? ... was: Re: Eclipse: Invalid character constant
Date Thu, 07 Apr 2011 23:01:19 GMT
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> : -1. These files should be readable, for maintaining, debugging and
> : knowing whats going on.
>
> Readability is my main concern ... i don't know (and frequently can't
> tell) the differnece between a lot of non ascii characters -- and i'm
> guessing i'm not alone.  when it's spelled out explicitly using the
> character name or escape code, there is no ambiquity about what character
> was intended, or wether it got screwed up by some tool along the way (ie:
> the svn server, an svn client, the patch command, a text editor, an IDE,
> ant's "fixcrlf" task, etc...)

Please take the time, just 5 or 10 minutes, to look thru some of this
source code and tests.

Imagine if you couldn't just look at the code to see what it does, but
had to decode from some crazy numeric encoding scheme.
Imagine if it were this way for things like stopword lists too.

It would be basically impossible for you to look at the code and
figure out what it does!
For example, try looking at thai analyzer tests, if these were all
numbers, how would you know wtf is going on?

Although this comes up from time to time, I stand firm on my -1
because its important to me for the source code to be readable.
I'm not willing to give this up just because some people cannot read
writing system XYZ.

I have said before, i'm willing to change my -1 vote on this, if *ALL*
string constants (including english ones) are changed to be character
escapes.
If you imagine what the code would look like if english string
constants were instead codes, then I think you will understand my
point of view!

Its really really important to source code readability to be able to
open a file and understand what it does, not to have to use some
decoder because it uses characters other people dont understand.