lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [POLL] JTS compile/test dependency
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 21:37:26 GMT
On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 01:11, Robert Muir <rcmuir@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Handling Unicode code points outside of BMP is highly expert stuff as
>> well. And is totally unneeded by 80% of the users for any other reason
>> except "elegance". I think you two guys can really understand each
>> other here : )
>>

> you are wrong: you either support unicode, or your application is
> buggy. Its not an optional feature, its the text standard used by the
> java programming language.

You either handle the the Earth as a proper somewhat-ellipsoid, or
your application is buggy. It's not an optional feature, it's even
stronger than a standard - it is a physical fact experienced by all of
us, earthlings.

Though 80% of the users can throw geoids and unicode planes out of the
window and live happily with some stupid local coordinate system and
two-byte characters (some even manage with one-byte!). Yeah, they
don't really care about being buggy in any geo/unicode-zealot's eyes.

Having said that, it's cool that people like you two exist :) Because
earth is round, maps are ugly, there are lots of different writing
systems and someone has to deal with that.

--
Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко
E-Mail/Jabber: earwin@gmail.com