lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial Future
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:21:46 GMT

On Apr 6, 2011, at 2:08 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>> with its replacement being an externally hosted ASL-licened module expressly designed
to work with Lucene/Solr 4.0 and beyond (temporarily known as lucene-spatial-playground).
 What would stay is the _basic_ spatial support that got into Lucene/Solr 3.1. Furthermore,
no future spatial work would be accepted on Lucene/Solr aside from support of the basic capability.

> That is the piece I was wondering about and why I said yesterday it isn't likely to work,
as it will just fork.  How do you tell people not to put in patches to L/S, especially when
part of it is native and part of it isn't?

I think risk of this is mitigated if the proposed external module is highly visible in L/S
-- in other words, it's downloaded and packaged up as part of the distribution -- a jar, sitting
along side the other contrib module jars (no JTS of course!).  Users would be referred to
this module for non-basic spatial via the wiki and community in general. Of course I would
prominently mention this module in the 2nd edition of my book ;-) which is well underway.

~ David Smiley
Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/