lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Smiley, David W." <dsmi...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial Future
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:06:23 GMT
On Apr 6, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> Until there is a specific patch that brings in and shows how JTS would be incorporated
(via reflection and as a totally optional piece, presumably, per the ASF LGPL guidelines),
there really isn't anything to vote on.

I think what is being asked to vote on is deprecation/removal of Lucene's spatial contrib
module with its replacement being an externally hosted ASL-licened module expressly designed
to work with Lucene/Solr 4.0 and beyond (temporarily known as lucene-spatial-playground).
 What would stay is the _basic_ spatial support that got into Lucene/Solr 3.1. Furthermore,
no future spatial work would be accepted on Lucene/Solr aside from support of the basic capability.

This module isn't quite ready so perhaps the vote should wait till it is.

~ David Smiley
Author: http://www.packtpub.com/solr-1-4-enterprise-search-server/