lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: Lucene Merge failing on Open Files
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:44:42 GMT

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Michael McCandless <lucene@mikemccandless.com>
> Date: April 5, 2011 5:46:13 AM EDT
> To: simon.willnauer@gmail.com
> Cc: Simon Willnauer <simon.willnauer@googlemail.com>, java-user@lucene.apache.org,
paul_t100@fastmail.fm
> Subject: Re: Lucene Merge failing on Open Files
>
> Yeah, that mergeFactor is way too high and will cause
> too-many-open-files (if the index has enough segments).

This is one of the things that has always bothered me about Merge Factor.  We state what the
lower bound is, but we don't doc the upper bound.   Should we even allow higher values?  Of
course, how does one pick the cutoff?  I've seen up to about 100 be effective.  But 3000 is
a bit high (although, who knows what the future will hold)