lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Steven A Rowe <sar...@syr.edu>
Subject RE: Questions about 3.1.0 release, SVN and common-build.xml
Date Fri, 01 Apr 2011 13:19:03 GMT
Hi Shai,

On 4/1/2011 at 8:32 AM, Shai Erera wrote:
> Also, the common-build.xml under the tag and the downloaded sources
> specifies version to be 3.1-SNAPSHOT. On the ReleaseTodo I found
> this: "... and the default version in lucene/common-build.xml on
> the branch to X.Y (remove the -SNAPSHOT suffix)", so I guess
> 'SNAPSHOT' should have been removed, but also version should be set
> to 3.1.0.

I'm pretty sure the ReleaseTodo page is wrong on this.

Building from a source distribution should *not* produce artifacts that have the same version
in their names as the binary release.  We don't want same-version-but-different binary artifacts
being accidentally produced.  There's nothing stopping people from changing this themselves,
of course, so leaving the pre-release version name, including the "-SNAPSHOT" suffix, in the
source release is just a passive defense against this kind of mistake.

I'll change the ReleaseTodo page if there are no objections.

Steve