lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <grant.ingers...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Spatial Future
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 18:08:33 GMT

On Apr 6, 2011, at 12:06 PM, Smiley, David W. wrote:

> On Apr 6, 2011, at 11:38 AM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:
>
>> Until there is a specific patch that brings in and shows how JTS would be incorporated
(via reflection and as a totally optional piece, presumably, per the ASF LGPL guidelines),
there really isn't anything to vote on.

> I think what is being asked to vote on is deprecation/removal of Lucene's spatial contrib
module

Just FYI, It is already deprecated in 3.x and slated for removal in 4.0.  Someone just needs
to axe the appropriate bits (and either move what's needed to Solr or to modules)

> with its replacement being an externally hosted ASL-licened module expressly designed
to work with Lucene/Solr 4.0 and beyond (temporarily known as lucene-spatial-playground).
 What would stay is the _basic_ spatial support that got into Lucene/Solr 3.1. Furthermore,
no future spatial work would be accepted on Lucene/Solr aside from support of the basic capability.

That is the piece I was wondering about and why I said yesterday it isn't likely to work,
as it will just fork.  How do you tell people not to put in patches to L/S, especially when
part of it is native and part of it isn't?