lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Solr Config XML DTD's
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2011 23:15:13 GMT

: Hi, this is my first post to the mailing list.  I'm working on a commercial

Welcome!

: My DTD works for our internal version of queryElevation.xml, but since the
: ATTRIB name of the <doc/> tag could be anything, I'm not sure how to write a
: DTD that would validate any valid query elevation file.

right .. this is one of the reasons why we've never tried to publish a DTD
for the solrconfig.xml or schema.xml files either.  there are lots of
cases where plugins can define arbitrary attributes on the XML nodes.

If i had the chance to do it all over again, and i better understood xml
back when yonik first showed me what the configs would look like, i would
have suggested using xml namespaces .. but that ship kind of sailed a
while ago.

we're getting a little better -- moving towards using the same type of
"NamedList" backed XML for the initialization anytime new plugins are
added, but i don't see it being feasible to have a config DTD anytime
soon.

-Hoss