lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 3.1
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 16:35:59 GMT

: >> So I don't think this is useful: dev-tools is for developers,
: So now its a broken build system if it DOESNT include a working
: ide-configurator? This is what I meant by slippery slope!!!!

We need to be clear on the scope of comments so as to reduce confusion...

the "build system" (ie: ant) is currently broken, because in the solr-src
packages, the top level build.xml has targets that do not work (because
they expect dev-tools to exist) and these targets are explicitly mentioned
in the top level README.txt

that does not mean there is anything broken about the lucene-src packages.

nor does it mean that we *have* to have an ide-configurator in any src
package.

This problem is orthoginal to the questions of:
 * should there be a distinct src release for just lucene-java, and
   should that distinct src release include an ?ide-configurator

for the orthoginal questions, i'm of the opinion that there should be one
src release for the entire dev tree, but that's not important right now --
what's important is that whatever we ship, should have ant targets that
work; and at this stage i think we should make the minimal number of
changes to the 3_1 branch (and the release process) to get artifacts where
everything listed in the README.txt and "ant -p" works out of the box.

-Hoss