lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1084583 - in /lucene/dev/trunk/solr/example/solr/conf: solrconfig.xml velocity/cluster.vm
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 18:08:11 GMT

: we should not depend on contribs during test at all!

While i generally agree with this sentiment, it's important to keep the
context of these tests in mind:

Because we use to have problems with people tweaking the example configs
in ways that would inadvertantly cause them to break, we have tests in
place (like "SolrExampleTests") for the sole and explicit purpose of
running Solr using the example configs and doing some indexing/querying to
ensure that those configs are "ok"

(these tests should not be confused with other tests that use the example
configs for no particular reason and expect certain fields/options to
always be set in ways that are brittle and anoying when making
improvements to the configs -- the point is some of the tests are there to
*test* the example configs, others *reuses* the example configs out of
laziness)

With that in mind: if we're going to have the example configs refer to
contribs, it makes sense that when testing those example configs, we
should probably have those contrib jars compiled so we can test the full
example as people who use them would see it.

but i agree -- those jars should not be part of the classpath for
test-core, where inadvertent class dependencies might get overlooked.

I'm not sure that there really is a good way to have the best of both
worlds w/o pulling the "example" tests out of the current test hierarchy
completley, and moving them to their own jar run seperately after all
contribs have also been jar'ed up.

-Hoss