lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Lucene Solr 3.1 RC1
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 03:18:39 GMT

: A 1.4.2 release in development, yes.  That's the earliest point that
: the bug was fixed, and someone
: upgrading from 1.4.1 should look at everything after the 1.4.1 release.

that makes no sense to me.  even if a 1.4.2 release is going ot exist at
some hypothetical point in the future, it doesn't exist *now* when the 3.1
release is coming out.  CHANGES.txt should only list real changes since
real releases.

All of the things listed in the 1.4.2-dev section have actually been fixed
in the the 3.1 branch as well -- in fact, most of them (all but one i
think) are double listed in the 3.1 bug section of the CHANGES.txt

We can't predict the future -- we don't know what else might get
included in a hypotheetical 1.4.2 release, so we're better off listing
nothing, then listing something that might be wrong.

(this, for the record, is one of hte potential problems i've brought up
several times about having 3x stuff listed in the CHANGES.txt on 4x, nad
what happens if there are overlapping releases.  it's why i argued that
the 3x CHANGES.txt should *only* include things commited to the 3x branch
(nothing from solr 1.4 or lucene 2.9)

-Hoss