lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Solr 3.1 RC1
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:04:39 GMT

On Mar 18, 2011, at 10:00 AM, DM Smith wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:05 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>

>> : The source is because I *think* we are required by the ASF to have
>>
>> yes. we are.
>
> Two thoughts on src distribution:
> Linux distributions, such as RedHat & Debian, have a policy of building from pristine
source. They want the official source for a release. For them it needs to be build-able. They
don't redistribute the official bin jars.

> For my product usage, I grab the official bin jars and in order to use it easily use
them for development within Eclipse, tie it to the src.zip(s). It is a tremendous help for
that fully vetted and match the bin. I don't need it to be build-able or have resources, just
the code.

> -- DM

FYI, FWIW: Apache does require that we distrib the src and that it's buildable.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com

Lucene/Solr User Conference
May 25-26, San Francisco