lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shay Banon <kim...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter#setRAMBufferSizeMB removed in trunk
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:41:57 GMT
I am not sure that IndexWriterConfig is bad. Its nice to be able to set all the upfront configurations
in a single object and pass it to the IndexWriter. And, have the IndexWriter allow for specific
setters allowing for real time changes (those should not be done through the IndexWriterConfig).

The question is which real time changes are allowed or not. The fact that they are separated
(IndexWriterConfig, and real time setters) is good since it allows to distinguish between
what can be set when setting up an IndexWriter, compared to what can be set in real time.
We did not have this distinction before the IndexWriterConfig was introduced.

This open the door for optimizations for things that can only be set when constructing an
IndexWriter. Usually, supporting real time changes can hinder concurrency, while having parameters
that are basically immutable allows to optimize in this case.

-shay.banon
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Michael McCandless