lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <>
Subject Re: IndexWriter#setRAMBufferSizeMB removed in trunk
Date Fri, 11 Mar 2011 12:20:39 GMT
Is it really that hard to recreate IndexWriter if you have to change
the settings??

Yeah, yeah, you lose all your precious reused buffers, and maybe
there's a small indexing latency spike, when switching from old IW to
new one, but people aren't changing their IW configs several times a

I suggest banning as much runtime-mutable settings as humanely
possible, and ask people to recreate objects for reconfiguration, be
it IW, IR, Analyzers, whatnot.