lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Michael McCandless <luc...@mikemccandless.com>
Subject Re: draft website 3.1 announcement
Date Thu, 24 Mar 2011 21:40:58 GMT
Some more possible bullets (maybe a little TOO verbose):

 * Numerous performance improvements: faster exact PhraseQuery;
   natural segment merging favors segments with deletions; primary
   key lookup is faster; IndexWriter.addIndexes(Directory[]) uses
   file copy instead of merging; BufferedIndexInput does fewer bounds
   checks; compound file is dynamically turned off for large
   segments; fully deleted segments are dropped on commit; faster
   snowball analyzers (in contrib); ConcurrentMergeScheduler is more
   careful about setting priority of merge threads.

 * IndexWriter is now configured with a new separate builder API
   (IndexWriterConfig).

 * Improved Unicode support: Unicode 4 is supported in core
   analyzers; StandardAnalyzer now implements the UAX #29 Unicode
   Text Segmentation standard from Unicode 6.0.0.

 * IndexWriter.getReader is replaced by
   IndexReader.open(IndexWriter).  In addition you can now specify
   whether deletes should be resolved when you open an NRT reader.

 * PayloadProcessorProvider enables your app to customize how
   payloads are merged.

 * MultiSearcher is deprecated; ParallelMultiSearcher has been
   absorbed directly into IndexSearcher

 * CharTermAttribute replaces TermAttribute (nocommit what else to
   say?)

 * On 64bit Windows and Solaris JVMs, MMapDirectory is now the
   default implementation (returned by FSDirectory.open).
   MMapDirectory also enables unmapping if the JVM supports it.

 * New TotalHitCountCollector just counts total number of hits

 * ReaderFinishedListener API enables external caches to evict
   entries once a segment is finished

 * Totally reorganized contrib (nocommit what to say?)

Mike

http://blog.mikemccandless.com