lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Earwin Burrfoot <ear...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPU acceleration
Date Sun, 13 Mar 2011 08:31:03 GMT
On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 00:15, Ken O'Brien <ken@kenobrien.org> wrote:
> To clarify, I've not yet written any code. I aim to bring a large speedup to
> any functionality that is computationally expensive. I'm wondering which
> components are candidates for this.
>
> I'll be looking through the code but if anyone is aware of parallelizable
> code, I'll start with that.
More like 'vectorizable' code, huh?

Guys from Yandex use modified group varint encoding plus handcrafted
SSE magic to decode/intersect posting lists and claim tremendous
speedups over original group varint.
They also use SSE to run the decision trees used in ranking.

There were experiments with moving both pieces of code to the GPU, and
GPU did well in terms of speed, but they say getting data in and out
of GPU made the approach unfeasible.

> I'll basically replicate existing functionality to run on the gpu.
>
> On 12/03/11 21:08, Simon Willnauer wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Ken O'Brien<ken@kenobrien.org>  wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is anyone looking at GPU acceleration for Solr? If not, I'd like to
>>> contribute code which adds this functionality.
>>>
>>> As I'm not familiar with the codebase, does anyone know which areas of
>>> functionality could benefit from high degrees of parallelism.
>>
>> Very interesting can you elaborate a little more what kind of
>> functionality you exposed / try to expose to the GPU?
>>
>> simon
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Ken

Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко