lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licenses files, Notice files and LUCENE-2952
Date Thu, 17 Mar 2011 00:54:09 GMT
On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:57 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> As Robert can no doubt attest, we often scramble to make sure i's are dotted and t's
are crossed when it comes to filling out LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt right before releases,
thereby burdening the RM with way too much work in validating what dependency has which license.
 Thus, we've been working to resolve this.

> In prep for the landing of LUCENE-2952 and to make life easier on release managers going
forward, we've adopted the following conventions for dealing with licenses:

> 1. For every dependency (i.e. jar file), there needs to be a corresponding file-LICENSE-<LICENSE_TYPE>.txt
file, as in: foo-2.3.1.jar has the corresponding foo-LICENSE-BSD.txt file (assuming foo is
BSD licensed) in the same directory as the jar file.

> 2.  _IF_ the license requires a NOTICE entry, then there must be a file of the name
file-NOTICE.txt, as in foo-NOTICE.txt.

> Failing to meet either one will break the build once L-2952 is committed (which should
be soon for trunk and will be backported to 3.2).

> Consider yourself notified.

+1

I think we can all agree, we want our licensing to be "rock-solid" and
we should strive to raise the standards here for our project. Its
actually more important than if our code even compiles.

Automated checks go a long way, thank you Grant for working on this,
because we have a lot of third-party dependencies and its difficult to
verify that everything is in proper order.