lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 3.1.0 Proposed Release Announcement(s)
Date Sun, 27 Mar 2011 02:33:52 GMT
a couple quick suggestions inline:

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> Proposed Release Announcement (edits welcome).  Also note we can have ASF Marketing
put out a press release if we want.

> <snip>
> March 2011, Lucene 3.1 available
> The Lucene PMC is pleased to announce the release of Apache Lucene 3.1 and Apache Solr
3.1.

> This release contains numerous bug fixes, optimizations, and
> improvements, some of which are highlighted below.  The release
> is available for immediate download at http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java
> and http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/java.  See the respective CHANGES.txt
> file included with the release for a full list of details.
>
> Lucene 3.1 Release Highlights
> * Improved Unicode support, including Unicode 4
>
> * ReusableAnalyzerBase make it easier to reuse TokenStreams correctly
>
> * Protected words in stemming via KeywordAttribute

I might combine these into 'analysis improvements': improved unicode
support, more friendly term handling (CharTermAttribute), easier
object reuse (ReusableAnalyzerBase), protected words in stemming
(KeywordAttribute)

> * ConstantScoreQuery now allows directly wrapping a Query
>
> * Support for custom ExecutorService in ParallelMultiSearcher

I think we should drop this from the release notes, especially given a
couple notes down we mention how PMS is deprecated (instead pass the
executorservice to indexsearcher).

> * IndexWriterConfig.setMaxThreadStates for controls of IndexWriter threads
>
> * Numerous performance improvements: faster exact PhraseQuery;
>  natural segment merging favors segments with deletions; primary
>  key lookup is faster; IndexWriter.addIndexes(Directory[]) uses
>  file copy instead of merging; BufferedIndexInput does fewer bounds
>  checks; compound file is dynamically turned off for large
>  segments; fully deleted segments are dropped on commit; faster
>  snowball analyzers (in contrib); ConcurrentMergeScheduler is more
>  careful about setting priority of merge threads.

we had speedups to mmapdirectory too, but only for large indexes.
maybe drop the bufferedindexinput stuff and just say the Directories
are faster?

I also think we should list the performance improvements as #1 in the
list of features (it will encourage users to check out the new
release)

> * IndexWriter is now configured with a new separate builder API
>  (IndexWriterConfig).
>
> * IndexWriter.getReader is replaced by
>  IndexReader.open(IndexWriter).  In addition you can now specify
>  whether deletes should be resolved when you open an NRT reader.
>
> * MultiSearcher is deprecated; ParallelMultiSearcher has been
>  absorbed directly into IndexSearcher

I think we should re-order the statement somehow, to not emphasize the
deprecation first... IndexSearcher gets PMS's capabilities, but
without its bugs, and then secondly that PMS is deprecated.

> * CharTermAttribute replaces TermAttribute in the Analysis process

I moved this one into the 'analysis improvements' above.