lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Lance Norskog <goks...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: GPU acceleration
Date Mon, 14 Mar 2011 02:29:49 GMT
"There were experiments with moving both pieces of code to the GPU, and
GPU did well in terms of speed, but they say getting data in and out
of GPU made the approach unfeasible."

That would be the problem with GPUs :) Co-processors always have this
problem. GPUs were designed for 3d video games- the data flow into the
GPU is low-volume (textures & triangles) and the data flow out is (I
assume) pretty minimal.

2011/3/13 ken@kenobrien.org <ken@kenobrien.org>:
> Vectorizable code would be the major target, yes.
>
> Do you know if the guys from Yandex were using CUDA or OpenCL approaches? or
> the old kind of opengl hacks.
>

> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 8:31 AM, Earwin Burrfoot <earwin@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 00:15, Ken O'Brien <ken@kenobrien.org> wrote:
>> > To clarify, I've not yet written any code. I aim to bring a large
>> > speedup to
>> > any functionality that is computationally expensive. I'm wondering which
>> > components are candidates for this.
>> >
>> > I'll be looking through the code but if anyone is aware of
>> > parallelizable
>> > code, I'll start with that.
>> More like 'vectorizable' code, huh?
>>
>> Guys from Yandex use modified group varint encoding plus handcrafted
>> SSE magic to decode/intersect posting lists and claim tremendous
>> speedups over original group varint.
>> They also use SSE to run the decision trees used in ranking.
>>
>> There were experiments with moving both pieces of code to the GPU, and
>> GPU did well in terms of speed, but they say getting data in and out
>> of GPU made the approach unfeasible.
>>
>> > I'll basically replicate existing functionality to run on the gpu.

>> --
>> Kirill Zakharenko/Кирилл Захаренко
>> E-Mail/Jabber: earwin@gmail.com
>> Phone: +7 (495) 683-567-4