lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter#setRAMBufferSizeMB removed in trunk
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:28:38 GMT
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:49 AM, Michael McCandless
<lucene@mikemccandless.com> wrote:

> Can you open an issue?  Make sure it's marked fix 4.0/3.2!  Thanks.

I'm not sure we should handle it this way: I really don't like
deprecation in one release and undeprecation in another.
So, I think we should open an issue for 3.1 and figure out if we want
to do this for setters at all.
If we decide to start moving setters out of IndexWriterConfig, then we
need to start asking very hard questions about IndexWriterConfig as a
whole, because I think it will be confusing if IndexWriter has two
separate configuration APIs.
This should block the release: if IndexWriterConfig is a broken design
then we need to revert this now before its released, not make users
switch over and then undeprecate/revert in a future release.