lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Cowell <alxc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Load balancing within distributed search
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:18:48 GMT
Hi Upayavira,

I believe there is a basic implementation of load balancing for distributed
search. The submit() method in the HttpCommComponent class within
SearchHandler contains code which splits a pipe character delimited string
of shards and uses a LoadBalancedHttpSolrServer to send requests to them.

But the functionality is limited to the features of the LBHttpSolrServer,
such as round-robin choosing of shards to query (although when the string of
|-delimited shards is split, the resulting individual shards are shuffled),
so I'm sure this could be improved upon.

Alex