lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lucene/Solr 3.1
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2011 14:27:03 GMT
On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Mark Miller <markrmiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, actually I think we should just make it completely unsupported. These are our dev
tools - don't count on them for crap. No reason to exclude them from the src IMO.

For the solr release, I think I could be ok with that (my concerns are
more that later someone will say, how did this eclipse stuff etc slip
into the release?). I know some people hesitated to add support for
IDEs for this reason, I was for it as I want to make contributions
easier, but I don't want us to look at it as making releasing harder.

For the lucene release, I'm definitely against it: nothing in there
will work at all because the lucene release doesn't include the solr
bits. I know its been mentioned in this thread that maybe we should
look at a single source artifact for everything, I don't think we
should do this either.

I think its important that lucene stays a standalone search engine
library from the artifact point of view, even if our development is in
sync with solr.