lucene-dev mailing list archives

From DM Smith <dmsmith...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Solr 3.1 RC1
Date Fri, 18 Mar 2011 14:00:34 GMT

On Mar 17, 2011, at 11:05 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : The source is because I *think* we are required by the ASF to have
>
> yes. we are.

Two thoughts on src distribution:
Linux distributions, such as RedHat & Debian, have a policy of building from pristine
source. They want the official source for a release. For them it needs to be build-able. They
don't redistribute the official bin jars.

For my product usage, I grab the official bin jars and in order to use it easily use them
for development within Eclipse, tie it to the src.zip(s). It is a tremendous help for that
fully vetted and match the bin. I don't need it to be build-able or have resources, just the
code.

-- DM