lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Shay Banon <kim...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: IndexWriter#setRAMBufferSizeMB removed in trunk
Date Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:31:47 GMT
Hi,
On Thursday, March 10, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Michael McCandless wrote:
> Hi Shay,
>
> It sounds like we should put this (ability to change RAM buffer on the
> fly) back.
>
> But, can you describe how/why you need this? Is it because you have
> many IWs open at once and you want to dynamically change which gets to
> use RAM?
Exactly. In elasticsearch, there can be several shards (each a Lucene index) running in the
same VM. You can configure that you want 10% of the heap to be allocated to indexing, and
it will automatically distribute it between all the shards by dynamically changing that value
on each IndexWriter.

> Are there other settings that were moved to IWC that you also
> dynamically change today...?
I think most can, and should, be set on the MergePolicy itself. The two that I miss as well
are settings the term index interval, and reader terms divisor.

Done: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-2960.