lucene-dev mailing list archives

From "Upayavira" ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Load balancing within distributed search
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 11:20:28 GMT
The SolrCloud doc suggests a request a shard syntax like this:

shards=localhost:8983/solr|localhost:8900/solr,localhost:7574/solr|localhost:7500/solr

Where a pipe character (|) is used to provide load balancing facilities
for shards. I've looked in trunk but cannot find anything that looks
like it.

Has this been implemented anywhere? If not, I'd like to have a go at
implementing it.

The requirements as I see it are:
 * randomised choice
 * on an exception, try other hosts for that shard, until exhausted

More complex would be:
 * if a host is down, note it as such and try it again only after a
 pre-defined interval.

Any thoughts?

Upayavira

---
Enterprise Search Consultant at Sourcesense UK,
Making Sense of Open Source