lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <>
Subject Licenses files, Notice files and LUCENE-2952
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2011 19:57:04 GMT
As Robert can no doubt attest, we often scramble to make sure i's are dotted and t's are crossed
when it comes to filling out LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt right before releases, thereby burdening
the RM with way too much work in validating what dependency has which license.  Thus, we've
been working to resolve this.

In prep for the landing of LUCENE-2952 and to make life easier on release managers going forward,
we've adopted the following conventions for dealing with licenses:

1. For every dependency (i.e. jar file), there needs to be a corresponding file-LICENSE-<LICENSE_TYPE>.txt
file, as in: foo-2.3.1.jar has the corresponding foo-LICENSE-BSD.txt file (assuming foo is
BSD licensed) in the same directory as the jar file.

2.  _IF_ the license requires a NOTICE entry, then there must be a file of the name file-NOTICE.txt,
as in foo-NOTICE.txt.

Failing to meet either one will break the build once L-2952 is committed (which should be
soon for trunk and will be backported to 3.2).

Consider yourself notified.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message