lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: an improvement for memory usage in SimplePostTool
Date Sat, 05 Feb 2011 00:20:59 GMT

: hi all
:     when using post.jar to post very large xml files to solr like
: "java -Xmx1g -Durl=http://localhost/solr/update -jar post.jar
: sample.xml",

FWIW: post.jar is not intended/suggested to be a robust solution that
people should use to index content in Solr -- it's provided solely as a
simpel way to post example file in the demo/tutorial w/o any external
dependencies. (ie: it exists only because we don't want to assume "curl"
is installed everywhere).  If you have realy large amounts of data you are
indexing, you shouldn't be using post.jar

With that caveat, I was making some fixes to post.jar anyway because of
Uwe's recent charset fixes to Solr, so i went ahead and imcluded your
suggestion...

:       urlc.setFixedLengthStreamingMode(len);

...as part of my patch...

Thanks!

-Hoss