lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: wind down for 3.1?
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2011 23:38:23 GMT

: Despite this, I propose we do a 'casual freeze' on the 3.x code base
: in 7 days time, in other words we agree for a few weeks we will focus
: on bugs and tests only in branch_3x and try to shorten, not length the
: list of issues in JIRA (unless these issues are bugs!).

+1

Looking over the open issues for 3.1, the one "new feature" issue that
jumps out at as potentially being problematic (and not easy to push back
if it's not done by the casual freeze date) is SOLR-1553 - the "edismax"
handler.

The initial patch has been committed for a long while (since before the
dev merge) but it has a bunch of little of problems that impact the "user
api" (ie: what some of the syntax means (ie: should ":" be escaped if it's
not used on a known field), and wether certain behavior should be on by
default or not once new params are added (ie: a new "uf" param) which is
the main reason it's been left open all this time.

I don't know if yonik was planning on trying to clean all this up in the
time frame we're now talking about -- but i would suggest that if it
doesn't all get dealt with, we document it as experimental and subject to
change (so we don't have to treat some of it's current behavior as
canon, and can modify the defaults)

-Hoss