lucene-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: wind down for 3.1?
Date Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:39:07 GMT

On Feb 12, 2011, at 7:38 PM, David Smiley (@MITRE.org) wrote:

> I don't want to overstep my role in this conversation (not being a committer
> as much as I want to be),

My advice? Purge both of these idea's from your head.

We don't like to talk about this subject around here much, but rebel that I am:

Mark Miller's guide to becoming a Committer -

The simple answer:

Act like a Committer.

The long answer:

Lucene/Solr is not developed by Committers IMO. It's developed by contributors. It's measured
by it's contributors.

Great contributors - great stewards - they will all become Committers over time. I don't think
a lot of us really care about the time tables. Sometimes a name is nominated and some of us
think - "oh, I already thought he was a committer" - or "wow, it's about time".

What prompts the creation of a Committer is wide and varied. It might be as simple as someone
is sick of committing all of your work. Committing others work takes time - and the shouldering
of some responsibility. Being a Committer is more work than being a contributor in this way.
In a lot of ways, it's an added burden - it's not just the convenience of being able to commit
straight to svn. That is not really a convenience if you ask me.

But honestly, a committer has no true weight over a regular contributor in Apache land. A
respected member of the community can easily have the same influence as a respected committer
IMO. Only PMC members have binding votes when lines are drawn in the sand. But again - great
contributors - great stewards - they will all become PMC members too. And I don't think most
of us are too worried about the time table. Great contributors will continue to contribute
regardless of that time table in my experience. And over time, things are brought into line
as they should be.

When the nominee is ready - when he shows that he gets the Apache way - that he fits into
the community - that he has demonstrated enough merit - that's point in time one.

When the nominator is ready - when he see's or is prompted to act - when he feels comfortable
putting his name out there for someone - that's point in time two.

These two points don't always coincide, much as we would like them too.

Persistence - it's the key to so many things. Lucene/Solr is like a cat farm, if such a things
existed.

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com